Common sense Christmas fire safety tips from Elkhart Fire Dept. Created by jzimney on 12/24/2013 2:49:01 PM Pin It
The following tips were sent to 95.3 MNC by the Elkhart Fire Department for you to keep in mind this Christmas holiday:
Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fire place or heat vent. At all times, make sure you keep the tree stand filled with water. When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly. The best way to dispose of your tree is by taking it to a recycling center or have it hauled away by a community pick-up service.
Do not link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Make sure to periodically check the wires-they should not be warm to the touch. Always unplug lights before leaving your home or going to sleep.
Make sure candles are placed in a sturdy non-combustible holder.
Keep candles away from flammable materials. Keep in mind that curtains can drift across a candle flame and ignite.
Do not leave children unattended in a room with lit candles.
Do not leave burning candles unattended. Extinguish all candles before you leave a room.